Shrinking (original draft)

Monday, September 15, 2014


Shrinking, into myself
Shrinking, when I’m feeling fat
Shrinking, when I feel attacked
Shrinking, within myself


Shrinking, to accommodate
Shrinking, to calm and placate
Shrinking, to hide and evade
Shrinking, not to intimidate


To avoid physical contact, I shrink.
To appear more feminine and petite, I shrink.
To not seem scary or imposing, I shrink.


When I’ve made a mistake
When I feel I’ve said too much
When I’m afraid I said the wrong thing
When I feel vulnerable and exposed
When I want to disappear
When I feel crushed under the weight and pressure of heavy, intense emotion.
On the outside, it’s just a noticeable change in posture, body language, curling up, folding in, to become a smaller target, perhaps. Squeezing myself into the size I think I should be.
Reducing myself to try to look as small as I feel.


But on the inside, it’s a volcano; an eruption of pain, a desperate release of built up worries, fears, doubts, wounds. An implosion of any and all self-esteem.


This shrink-and-grow routine, unpredictable, compared to the ebb and flow of the tide.
The both are affected by the moon.

Who knows if I’ll ever grow into my body.

Comments

Popular Posts